Yasmin Hopkins

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Honours)

I am an artist that paints. I use oil paint on different-sized surfaces and gleaned imagery to create a string of affinities that allude to psychological states and qualities. Currently, I am preoccupied with subjects relating to gardens, such as my ugly Bunnings pots, half an umbrella stand, snails (land and sea) and my cat. The concept of the Lacanian knot is useful for understanding this approach – as being receptive to slippage and failure. My practice takes place on the unceded lands of the Wurundjeri people.

Yasmin Hopkins, Installation shot, Oil paint, painting supports, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Yasmin Hopkins, Booties, Raw wool, sweat, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.