VCA ART 2021

Jemima Lucas

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Honours)

I investigate the productive powers between psychological and materially opposed gestures of control and release/power and agency. My assemblages hold allegorical potential, situating the works as active conduits for the body. Through balanced expressions of perpetration and yield, antithetical forces negotiate their impact on one another.

Materials are the primary point of departure in my practice, and I would like to acknowledge the First Nations people from whose lands they are sourced. I feel the gravity of sourcing material mined from unceded Indigenous land when I mix sand into a cement, mix scoria to invest, weld steel, pour latex and cast aluminium. I pay respect to Elders past, present and emerging.

Jemima Lucas, Tell me what you are. Will you hold me in your arms?, Mild steel hammered spikes, pulverised oyster shells, mortar, chain, shackle, gravity, tension, 2021.
Jemima Lucas, Tell me what you are. Will you hold me in your arms?, Stripped trampoline, cast latex, springs, mild steel hammered spike, eyelets, stainless steel fixings, pressure, tension, gravity, 2021.
Jemima Lucas, How to document an erasure, Aluminium propeller plate, cement powder, ice, water, rusted mild steel trough, concrete, tempered spikes, 2021.
Jemima Lucas, The space between my legs, Tempered mild steel spike, latex cast of the back of legs, 2021.
Jemima Lucas, Tell me what you are. Will you hold me in your arms?, Trampoline, latex trampoline skin, tempered spiked hooks, eyelets, aluminium cast, 2021.
Jemima Lucas, A testing ground on which the self can best be illuminated, Tempered spikes, performer (Nikki Tarling), 2020.
Jemima Lucas, A testing ground on which the self can best be illuminated, Aluminium pillow, concrete ball, rope, mooring bollard, performer (Nikki Tarling), 2020.
Jemima Lucas, Untitled (a practice in permeability), Mild steel spiked frame, ice, water, cobalt blue indicating silica gel beads, acrylic, 2021.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.

This website may contain sensitive or triggering content