VCA ART 2021

John Lim

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Honours)

I attempt to expand the intimate yet chaotic threshold where private experience encounters public space, using pattern, monochrome and texture to explore the deep history ingrained in my childhood experiences at my grandparents’ petit house in Penang, Malaysia. With this history in mind, I am interested in the differing aesthetics of public space in Australia and Malaysia. My work explores this contrast: the neglect and deterioration of community facilities in my hometown and the relatively pristine conditions of urban Australia. Investigating divergent narratives held by these two spaces, my paintings, sculptures and installations fuse the fragmentation of my memories of Malaysia with idiosyncratic features of Australian culture.

John Lim, Igloo loggia, Concrete, steel tube, steel pipe, steel square rod, acrylic, marker, 2021. Documentation by Christian Capurro.
John Lim, Ngo Ka Ki, Mosaic tiles, grout, concrete, hollow steel bar, steel flat bar, steel mesh sheet, plywood, spray paint, weld marks, 2021. Documentation by Christian Capurro.
John Lim, Line and ham, Flat/shs steel bar and steel tube, 2021.
John Lim, Line and ham / Sock, Flat/shs steel bar, steel tube and oil on canvas, 2021.
John Lim, Tree three, Masking tape on canvas, 2021.
John Lim, Rendered void, Shs/round steel bar, steel tube, handmade bricks, weld marks, spray paint, and oil on recycled paper, 2021.
John Lim, Void, Shs/round steel bar, steel tube, weld marks, spray paint, 2021.
John Lim, Void , Shs/round steel bar, steel tube, weld marks and spray paint, 2021.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.

This website may contain sensitive or triggering content