Lhotse Collins

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Honours)

The slippery matter of my ancestors hide.
They send stories down through veins reverberating against purple organs. These echoes retell what was told.

From the lands of the Wurundjeri people, I follow murmurs and echoes to my European pagan heritage. By tracing ancestral bodies through craft processes and enactments of pagan ritual, the actions of the body hold memory and knowledge. An attentive relationship to matter dissolves the seeping boundaries between my body and material kin. Through this material attention, I consider the potential of my practice to function as a method for decolonising my thinking. It offers a space to remember an embodied encounter with land and ancestral ways of doing and being.

Lhotse Collins, Installation view of 'threshold/colonial debris' and 'Æcerbot charm: can colonialism become compost?', willow, soil, sheep wool, plants, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Lhotse Collins, installation view of 'these organs speaks for my kin I', Clay from a dam on Yuin country, raw honey from my friend Noah's bees in Croydon, corn husk from supermarket dried on my window sill, and something I found on the beach which is an umbilical cord to me, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Lhotse Collins, soil covered, you speak., Archival image: 'Somerset level digs', and silver gel pen, 2021.
Lhotse Collins, Erce, erce, erce, Archival image and silver gel pen, 2021.
Lhotse Collins, I used to call you angels but now I know your name., bandage, fabric scraps, unwashed sheep wool, doily, embroidery thread, 2021.
Lhotse Collins, Æcerbot charm , Enactment of Pagan ritual, the Æcerbot charm : a field remedy. Enacted on Wurundjeri land, 2021.
Lhotse Collins, residual boundaries, Woven willow, collected from residential property in Naarm, located on the Merri Merri, Wurundjeri Country, 2021.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.