Mia Carey

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Honours)

Themes of gendered violence.

I am fed up. Mulling over an email reply from a federal Member of Parliament in 2019 in response to a gendered violence rally I was organising, I have sought to finally reply. Working through a counter-archival practice, I compile real and imagined experiences to document events and experiences of those affected by patriarchy that have historically been erased from archives. My goal is to explore the ways in which survivors are able to tell their stories and be heard when systems of power are not built for them be heard.

I am based on stolen Wurundjeri land and was raised on stolen Gadigal land. Emancipation from systematic oppression would not be possible without the fight for Indigenous sovereignty.

Mia Eve Carey, I wrote to a politician, B&W HD two channel video, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Mia Eve Carey, I wrote to a politician, B&W HD single channel video with sound, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Mia Carey, Night Walks 3, Inkjet print on cotton rag, 2021.
Mia Carey, Night Walks 6, Inkjet print on cotton rag, 2021.
Mia Carey, Night Walks 5, Inkjet print on cotton rag, 2021.
Mia Carey, I wrote to a politician, Video instillation, 2021.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.