Christina May Carey

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Honours)

Content contains bright flashes and flickering that may potentially trigger seizures for people with photosensitive epilepsy.

Syncopation in a rhythm draws our attention to the rhythm itself. The use of syncopation, gaps, discrepancies and ruptures in my work aims to induce an awareness of breath and pulse. I like the idea that an installation can be created to mimic interior experience, like the sensation of being inside one’s head, or the reverse, like the sensation of being outside of one’s body. This draws on how dream states can expose embedded parts of our psychology that are ignored or masked during waking states. My intention is to generate a feeling of self-scrutiny or self-surveillance in the installation space, invoking bodily affect or an unnerving sense of self-awareness.

Christina May Carey, Virtual Window II, HD Video, LED screen, stereo sound, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Christina May Carey, I, HD video, iPad, magnifying screen with custom steel frame, steel and aluminium articulating arm, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Christina May Carey, Installation view, HD video, LED screen, stereo sound; HD video, LED monitor, custom steel frame, acrylic frame; HD video, iPad, magnifying screen, custom steel frame, steel and aluminium articulating arm, 2021. Documentation by Aaron Rees.
Christina May Carey, X, HD video, LED monitor, custom steel frame, acrylic frame, 2021. Documentation by Aaron Rees.
Christina May Carey, Virtual Window II, HD video, stereo sound., 2021. Sound design in collaboration with Camryn Rothenbury.
Christina May Carey, X, HD video, 2021.
Christina May Carey, I, HD video, 2021.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.