Ruby Zogopoulos

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Drawing & Printmaking)

In my work, I aim to highlight tensions embedded in the Australian narrative through the deconstruction and reconstruction of history and myth. The contradictory ‘white Australia’ myth serves to continually define Australian history and identities, perpetuating ongoing colonial occupation. This continual occupation enshrines a power structure that leaves me and other white Australians in a position of implicit privilege. Through the medium of film, and often using installation, I place together symbols of Australian history with those of either myself or my family, giving space to explore these narratives at both a personal and societal level.

Ruby Zogopoulos, Ab Invito (Against Ones Will): 1949, Video, 2021.
Ruby Zogopoulos, Ab Invito (Against Ones Will): 1996, Video, 2021.
Ruby Zogopoulos, What should we fear?, Video, 2021.
Ruby Zogopoulos, What should we fear? , Video, 2021.
https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/647550391
Ruby Zogopoulos, What should we fear? (installation view), TV monitors, poles, headphones, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Ruby Zogopoulos, Ab Invito (Against Ones Will): 1996, TV monitors, poles, headphones, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.