Charlie Robert

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Drawing & Printmaking)

I think of my practice as one of excavation and the re-materialisation of images.

Digging through the surplus of past images readily available to us in – through sources as varied as the internet, old magazines and microfilm collections – I’ve become interested in the intuitive side of image archiving: what resonates with me and why? The images I source, collage and digitally manipulate make up the compositional skeletons of my works. In fabricating the images into paintings, I’m interested in the tensions that come with using industrial materials, such as rust, aluminium, sand, marble and wood, each with its inherent associations. What results is an investigation into the fluidity of the image, its origins re-embodied in a new materiality.

Charlie Robert, Installation Shot, Acrylic, marble, sand, rust on aluminium panel, steel and timber shelving, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Charlie Robert, Quantumpicnic_, Acrylic, marble, sand, rust on aluminium panel, steel and timber shelving, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Charlie Robert, Madonna, Acrylic, marble and sand on Canvas, 2021.
Charlie Robert, Stargate, Acrylic, marble and sand on aluminium, timber and steel shelf, 2021.
Charlie Robert, Pegasus, Acrylic, marble, rust and sand on aluminium, timber and steel shelf, 2021.
Charlie Robert, Heaven or, Acrylic, marble and sand on aluminium, timber and steel shelf, 2021.
Charlie Robert, Kurt Vista, Acrylic, marble, rust and sand on aluminium, timber and steel shelf, 2021.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.