Panisa Ongwat

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Drawing & Printmaking)

Through my practice I look to preserve fleeting moments, elevating intimate glimpses of the mundane into carefully considered photographic documents. I work with analogue photography and the darkroom, and the unpredictable nature of the film medium resists instant curation and processing. Each scene is uniquely highlighted, appreciated as a suspended moment.

I find myself searching for depth and affection in the ordinary, seen through the cultural lens of a Thai-born artist who continually moves between countries. The under-represented beauty of everyday moments inspires me to document, as a quiet spectator, these brief encounters. Through the use of vibrant colours, I create a warm ambience for the unknown that remains constant with the passing memory.

Panisa Ongwat, I see you 1, Chromogenic print mounted to aluminium, 2021.
Panisa Ongwat, I see you 2, Chromogenic print mounted to aluminium, 2021.
Panisa Ongwat, Installation view of 'I see you', Chromogenic print mounted to aluminium, 2021.
Panisa Ongwat, Faded, Chromogenic print mounted to aluminium, 2021.
Panisa Ongwat, Blocked, Chromogenic print mounted to aluminium, 2021.
Panisa Ongwat, Blurred , Chromogenic print mounted to aluminium, 2021.
Panisa Ongwat, Panel View, Acrylic sheet, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Panisa Ongwat, Installation View, Chromogenic print mounted to aluminium, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.