Hannah Atherton

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Drawing & Printmaking)

My practice is informed by my fascination with narrative and performance, and manifests in the way I reference images from film and theatre sets. In using these stills, often ambiguous in their context, the imagery depicted may feel curiously familiar to the viewer.

By using oil paint in thin layers, the process is visible in the brushstrokes. The uncomplicated tactility of the work unravels what appears intricate from afar. I think of this illusion of perfection as analogous to the role of theatrical sets, costume and makeup.

As an audience member, you are constantly anticipating what’s to come. I invite the viewer to consider their own personal storylines, and the characters they may empathise with, comparing their lived reality to the fictive narrative.

Hannah Atherton, Installation view, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Hannah Atherton, arch, Oil on wood, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Hannah Atherton, REMOVE EVERYTHING WITHOUT RELEVANCE (ode to Chekhov's Gun), Oil on canvas, 2021.
Hannah Atherton, SALUTE THE SUN, Oil on canvas, 2021.
Hannah Atherton, narrative arch, Oil on cardboard, 2020.
Hannah Atherton, HOSTING, Oil on canvas, 2021.
Hannah Atherton, green room, Oil on canvas, 2021.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.