Jordan Smart

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Drawing & Printmaking)

My practice works to draw inspiration from quiet landscapes and mundane settings that I reflect on. I work with sight specific locations that hold weight in my mind. I use a narrative language to tell a story of what exists between the landscape and a place. Sometimes text makes its way into the prints to reinforce this sense of storytelling.

These latest works are in correspondence with my grandmother through letters and phone conversations. This series is an interweaving of our stories to create a multi-generational collage. This work has formed together to create a body of work that is formed through research, conversation, text and the learned experiences that are passed between generations.

Jordan Smart, the VCA and Telecom (installation view), Acrylic on masonite board, photocopy inject prints, pencil, ink on paper and table, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Jordan Smart, the VCA and Telecom (installation detail), Ink on paper, table, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Jordan Smart, untitled #1 (wire wrapping), Inject print on paper, 2021.
Jordan Smart, untitled #2 (workshop), Inject print on paper, 2021.
Jordan Smart, untitled #3 (telecom with notes), Inject print on paper, 2021.
Jordan Smart, circuit board, Screen print on wooden board, 2021.
Jordan Smart, conversations with nan part 1, Ink on watercolour paper, 2021.
Jordan Smart, conversations with nan part 2, Ink on watercolour paper, 2021.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.