Han Bing

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Drawing & Printmaking)

I work across photography, painting and drawing, using digital and traditional mediums, as well as installation. My practice explores the relationship between image and language, and the role of body motion in the context of image-making.

I randomly choose motifs for digital drawings from ancient Chinese dictionary entries to explore the gap between ancient and contemporary language, image and text. In my drawings on paper, I use cartographical symbols, scientific illustrations and comics to create virtual realms in which the territory of knowledge is obscured. The gestural marks in digital and physical mediums question the authenticity of mark-making.

Han Bing, Solaris (Installation view), Framed drawing on paper, projected video on veil, video on screen, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Han Bing, Untitled, Colour pencil, oil pastel on paper, 2021. Documentation by Johnny Cai.
Han Bing, Hold (搀), Digital static image, 2021.
Han Bing, Hoopoe (鵀), Digital static image, 2021.
Han Bing, Burning Soil (堲), Digital static image, 2021.
Han Bing, Untitled, Digital static image, 2021.
Han Bing, Solaris, Single channel video on screen, 2021.
Han Bing, Solaris, Single channel video projected on veil, 2021.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.