VCA ART 2021

Chelsea Rosenbrock

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Drawing & Printmaking)

Tension lies at the centre of my practice. The push and pull of combining different elements is used to create works that sublimate their multiple sources, referencing various music and pop-culture aesthetics.

Treating photographs as objects or materials, I take source imagery through many digital and analogue editing processes to alter, distort and repurpose them into new images and contexts. I focus on the ways an image can be repeated, inverted, layered and collaged to create gridded patterns and compositions that contain only hints of its original form. My process allows me to create prints that are a collision of aesthetics, drawing inspiration from 80s punk gig posters, paste-ups and photography, as well as high formalist abstract paintings.

Chelsea Rosenbrock, Sublimate Series (Installation View), Lino print on paper, collage, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Chelsea Rosenbrock, Sublimate 2, Lino print on paper, collage, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Chelsea Rosenbrock, Sublimate 1, Lino print, collage, 2021.
Chelsea Rosenbrock, Sublimate 3, Lino print, collage, 2021.
Chelsea Rosenbrock, Sublimate 4, Lino print, collage, 2021.
Chelsea Rosenbrock, Untitled, Lino print, acrylic on wood board, 2021.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.

This website may contain sensitive or triggering content