Madlena Kaindel

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Drawing & Printmaking)

Through my art practice I explore ideas of memory, connection and comfort. I document my navigation of the relationship between childhood and womanhood, understanding what it means to be a woman yet still holding onto my childhood, searching for where the two overlap.

Using oil paints, I explore my love for the naive and cartoonish, allowing the viewer to be immersed in comforting dreamlike compositions and a colour palette primarily made up of pinks, purples and blues. Motifs are repeated; a common theme of flowers and children’s cartoon characters link to my Austrian heritage. The aim of my work is to invite viewers to connect with their own experiences.

Madlena Kaindel, Installation view, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Madlena Kaindel, Untitled, Oil paint and oil pastel on canvas, 2021.
Madlena Kaindel, Untitled, Oil paint on canvas, 2021.
Madlena Kaindel, Untitled, Oil paint on canvas, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Madlena Kaindel, La le lu: Schlaf gut, Coloured pencil on paper, 2020.
Madlena Kaindel, Polaroid 1, Polaroid in casing, 2021.
Madlena Kaindel, Heart-shaped leaves 1, Coloured pencil on watercolour paper, 2020.
Madlena Kaindel, Polaroid 2, Polaroid in casing, 2021.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.