VCA ART 2021

Patricia Agus

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Drawing & Printmaking)

My practice expands on traditional forms of printmaking through the incorporation of photography and sculpture.

The photographic element in my works brings to light the forgotten time of my childhood. This, paired with the abstracted black-and-white aesthetic from relief printing, creates a sense of anonymity that resembles a distorted memory. The sculptural element offers an opportunity for my prints to become spatial, creating a theatrical scene in the form of scaled-up woodcuts of me and my surroundings. These woodcuts present two versions of myself, each of which becomes a physical representation of my Filipino or Australian identity. Their interaction in a nostalgic, domestic scene from my childhood and adult life show that they equally contribute to my identity.

Patricia Agus, Recognition of self, Woodcuts, linocuts, oil on plywood, metal, plinth, carpet, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Patricia Agus, Come play with me, Oil paint on woodcut blocks, plywood, lithograph, carpet tiles, snacks, 2021.
Patricia Agus, Close to home, Lithograph, oil paint on plywood, 2021.
Patricia Agus, Welcome to the country (0:16:58), Oil paint on woodcut block, door hinges, 2021.
Patricia Agus, Forgotten Memories, Oil paint on woodcut block, door hinges, 2021.
Patricia Agus, Squeaky trolley wheels on the pavement, Linocut, oil paint on plywood, 2021.
Patricia Agus, Growing up with my lola, Linocut, oil paint on plywood, 2021.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.

This website may contain sensitive or triggering content