VCA ART 2021

Rosie Stanton

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Drawing & Printmaking)

My work exists at the limits of language and communication. Through representation and gestural acts, I describe lost information and trace moments of misunderstanding. With an interest in the power of language – prejudices, secrets, lies, love letters – I work to neutralise and dramatise information beyond its functionality.

Engaging new modes of drawing, I use the elements of written language in isolation, as an investigation of poetry in the expanded field. By breaking apart and mending conversation, a new sensitivity emerges in which written language is handled and held. This mode of drawing poetry informs a gesture of reading intertwined with the act of walking. I thus pursue a performative practice of writing, drawing, walking, reading, keeping and holding.

Rosie Stanton, Installation view, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Rosie Stanton, (susp)end, Letraset transfer on glass, cartridge paper, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Rosie Stanton, Ri(sing), Letter transfers on mirror, 2021.
Rosie Stanton, Give home to, Zine page digital image, 2021.
Rosie Stanton`, Give home to, Digital video, 2021.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.

This website may contain sensitive or triggering content