VCA ART 2021

Liam Donoghue

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Drawing & Printmaking)

Why paint? Why make pictures at all? Why does it mean so much to get up every day and pick up a brush? It is inevitable: we curate our social media and there is the prevailing sense that if we don’t document and share something it loses value.

My works are also a curation. They say something contrived about my identity. They are a direct reflection of the abundant images that make up a life, but also a rejection. There is no gloss, no polish, even though the choice to depict in a certain way comes through my conscious choices. I understand the unavoidable contradiction apparent: a muted, ambiguous version of daily life is as much a false curation as dressed plates and beach holidays.

Liam Donoghue, Outside 2, Oil on plywood, 2021.
Liam Donoghue, Cooled Board, Oil and Ink on plywood, 2021.
Liam Donoghue, Fishtank, Oil and Ink on plywood, 2021.
Liam Donoghue, Foreshore Bedroom, Oil on plywood, 2021.
Liam Donoghue, Inside, Oil and Ink on plywood, 2021.
Liam Donoghue, Detail from Outside 1, Oil on plywood, 2021.
Liam Donoghue, Install View, Oil and acrylic ink on plywood, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Liam Donoghue, Install View, Oil and acrylic ink on ply, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.

This website may contain sensitive or triggering content