Lauren Murphy

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Drawing & Printmaking)

What drives my process is the desire to escape – escape from a world we are conditioned, from a young age, to see as normal. While I enjoy using my practice to catch a break from this world, the aim of my work is to bring those characters whose realities we use to escape into our own. Having a particular interest in the uncanny, I add animalistic features to familiar characters, and place them in photographs of Melbourne. My goal is to suggest what a new reality could be like if these characters were to infiltrate recognisable spaces, and to suggest a new, more open definition of ‘normal’. Combining mixed-media paintings with photography, I am able to explore this and further my desire for escapism.

Lauren Murphy, Sexy Lookin' Horse Lady, Mixed media print, 2021.
Lauren Murphy, Jotaro Visits Emporium Melbourne, Mixed media print, 2021.
Lauren Murphy, Kira Visits Breadtop in Melbourne, Mixed media print, 2021.
Lauren Murphy, Bruno and Narancia Visit the Old Melbourne Gaol, Photographic print, 2021. Model @yellingfrogsie.
Lauren Murphy, Audwin Traveling through The Block Arcade in Melbourne, Digital artwork on photographic print, 2021.
Lauren Murphy, Aziraphale Waiting for Audwin to Return from the Royal Arcade in Melbourne, Mixed media print, 2021.
Lauren Murphy, Installation View, Mixed media, 2021.
Lauren Murphy, The Outfit Bruno Wore when He Visited the Old Melbourne Gaol (detail shot), Mixed media, 2021.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.