Jessie Marshall

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Drawing & Printmaking)

My practice is in picture-making, predominantly oil paintings on found wooden boards and canvases of assorted scale, depicting varying gleaned images. My process involves delving into reservoirs of image memory. I take my cues from pop culture, moments with friends, family and from shitty phone photos to capture, distil and preserve evocative moments – both personally experienced and imagined.
My paintings often possess an anachronistic quality, evoking ambiguous time. I’m fascinated by the notion of hauntology adopted and adapted by Mark Fisher, a complicated nostalgia for lost futures, for a time preserved in cultural memory when viable alternative social, political and economic systems still existed. My practice explores this tension between optimistic glimpses of potential futures and dread of the advanced capitalism with which we are inundated.

Jessie Marshall, We found infinity in the climbing (after Wolfgang Tillmans), Oil on board, 2021.
Jessie Marshall, "Days like television (d-d-d-d-d days like televsion)", Oil on canvas, 2021.
Jessie Marshall, "Well may we say 'God Save the Queen', because nothing will save the Governor-General." , Oil on board, 2021.
Jessie Marshall, "Do You Realize??", Oil on canvas, 2021.
Jessie Marshall, We built towers before the tide came in, Oil on board, 2021.
Jessie Marshall, Painting to the fear (after Justine Kurland), Oil on board, 2021.
Jessie Marshall, Days like television (diorama), Mixed media, carboard shoe box, 2021.
Jessie Marshall, "Many marvelous moments" (Grad show install shot), Oil paintings, dioramas, foil covered milk crates and biscuit tins, 2021.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.