Simone De Petro

Graduate Certificate of Visual Art

My work is about human potential, our natural environment and the complex relationship between them. Inextricably connected, the natural and the artificial compete continuously for consideration. Having worked in fitness and education, my practice is ultimately influenced by themes of transformation and sensory awareness. My background in sculpture, using varied materials, including sound and video, also continues to inform and develop intuitive explorations into the organic rhythm of nature and the art-making process. As such, my work investigates concepts of balance, shape and cohesion with assemblages of natural and fabricated forms. Interested in the language of sculptural abstractions, I investigate and reflect upon the dynamics between structural semblances and spatial variation to generate a visual vocabulary.

Simone De Petro, Getty or Home via the Getty Museum L.A, Video 2 minutes 58 seconds, 2021.
Simone De Petro, Absence, Foam, card, balsa wood, green dot sticker, 30 x 40 x 20 cm, 2021.
Simone De Petro, Within, Repurposed assorted card, 18 x 25 x 10 cm, 2021.
Simone De Petro, Framed: caught in the crossfire, Board, brackets, veteran pear tree, cut out shape, 40 x 50 cm, 2021.
Simone De Petro, From an indoor Torii perspective, Acrylic paint on repurposed wood, bamboo, wire, ink on chiffon, fluorescent cotton, 50 x 160 x 40 cm, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Simone De Petro, Torii perspective: detail, Acrylic paint on repurposed wood, bamboo, wire, ink on chiffon, fluorescent cotton, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Simone De Petro, From an outdoor Torii perspective, Acrylic paint on repurposed wood, bamboo, wire, ink on chiffon, fluorescent cotton 50 x 160 x 40 cm, 2021.
Simone De Petro, Utopia or when my utopia is your dystopia and vice versa, Video 1 minute, 2021.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.