Anna Mallyon

Graduate Certificate of Visual Art

I am a multimedia artist working predominantly in clay, plaster and acrylic paint, creating mostly object centred work, consisting of sculptures or paintings. My practice investigates the symbolic representation of emotional or embodied experiences and attachments in a way that provides some type of resonance for others. Often responding directly to an emotional, intellectual or physical interaction, my work tends to be brightly coloured, paying homage to both pop art and surrealism. I am also strongly influenced by artists such as Sarah Lucas and Louise Bourgeoise, which is evident in a focus on physicality and a use of tactile materials as a means to articulate an experience of embodied discomfort. The current work explores that discomfort, particularly for bodies that diverge from proscribed norms of perfection.

Anna Mallyon, Untitled 01, Clay, neon gouache, acrylic paint, 2021.
Anna Mallyon, Install of Untitleds 1,2,3, Various, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Anna Mallyon, Detail of Untitleds 2&3, Clay, gouache, synthetic hair, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Anna Mallyon, Vessel 01, Clay, modelling compound, acrylic paint, 2019.
Anna Mallyon, Vessel 02, Menstrual cup, cosmetologist skin practice sheet, black thread, acrylic paint, 2021.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.