Kevin Thorley

Graduate Certificate of Visual Art

Melbourne is currently going through a dramatic reconstruction and transformation. In the name of creating a more ‘liveable’ city, infrastructure and construction projects are being gouged deeply into the bowels of the city, disrupting people’s lives. With my paintings, I reimagine the various characters in the construction game as emotional, aggressive and ferociously monstrous. I work with colour, gestural brushstrokes and earthy materials to comment on the sinister side effects of multi-million-dollar construction projects. My large-scale, mixed-media paintings are influenced by the paintings of the renaissance. Specifically, I take inspiration from religious scenes, the depiction of war heroes, villains and noble animals, to construct dramatic narratives.

Kevin Thorley, Waah!, Mixed Media, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Kevin Thorley, Construction Nightmares, Mixed Media, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.