Shannon Slee

Graduate Certificate of Visual Art

Informed by ongoing research into the 1970s and 80s, I am interested in working with found images and objects that speak to a multi-layered representation of Australia’s history. By seeking out past displays of intimacy and humanity, my practice contemplates the ways in which preceding moments might still hold relevance today. Using simple, familial sewing skills, loved discarded clothing, leftover fabrics and haberdashery, items that store personal memories, I intuitively cut and piece together material to create fabric paintings. Through the use of quilting, I revisit skills often associated with ‘feminine’ crafts, connecting with materiality to provide pragmatic objects of warmth. Through my work, I hope to speak to an exchange of histories and the development of a relationship to material on a personal and broader cultural level.

Shannon Slee, Quilt for Susan Ryan, Personal discarded clothing, fabric remnants, wadding and synthetic stuffing, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Shannon Slee, Quilt for Spangle, Fabric remnants, Nana's bias binding and wadding, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Shannon Slee, Quilt for Spangle (detail), Fabric remnants, Nana's bias binding and wadding, 2021.
Shannon Slee, Quilt for Pentridge Dude, Personal discarded denim, fabric remnants, wadding, 2021. Documentation by Guy Grabowsky.
Shannon Slee, Quilt for Pentridge Dude (detail), Personal discarded denim, fabric remnants, wadding, 2021. Documentation by Guy Grabowsky.
Shannon Slee, Installation View, Left Quilt for Susan Ryan, Right Quilt for Spangle, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.