VCA ART 2021

Miream Salameh

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Painting)

When the Syrian revolution broke out in 2011, I co-founded with friends a magazine called Justice, which documented Assad’s abuses in the city of Homs. Due to my involvement in anti-government activism, I was forced to leave my homeland after regime forces threatened me with rape, arrest and murder. I fled Syria in 2012 and moved to Lebanon.

I have lived in Narrm (Melbourne) since 2013, and I work across painting, sculpture, video, performance and photography. My practice is informed by my experience as a migrant artist, reconciling my traditional art education with contemporary cultural practices, addressing issues of identity, displacement, conflict and memory.

Miream Salameh, Missing Once In, Reborn Once Out, Raw clay and metal, 2021. Documentation by Damon Amb.
Miream Salameh, Missing Once In, Reborn Once Out , Raw clay and metal, 2021. Documentation by Damon Amb.
Miream Salameh, Missing Once In, Reborn Once Out, Raw clay and metal, 2021. Documentation by Ezz Monem.
Miream Salameh, Missing Once In, Reborn Once Out , Raw clay and metal, 2021. Documentation by Ezz Monem.
Miream Salameh, Missing Once In, Reborn Once Out, Raw clay and metal, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.

This website may contain sensitive or triggering content