Caitlin Aloisio Shearer

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Painting)

Guided by a preoccupation with womanhood and self-determination, I seek to understand the world through the act of painting. I’m attracted to the sensuous nature of oil paints, and I define the canvas as a home where subconscious sketches mingle with wilful and determined mark-making.

Flowers, faces and figures are long-held personal tokens in which meaning can be repeatedly invested to propose a generous realm where the interior and exterior meet and meld. Birthing that which is in opposition to the reality of daily life speaks to the magic of the painted image. It fulfils an urge to correspond with a rich lineage of women artists who work to define a self that remains obscured in popular culture.

Caitlin Aloisio Shearer, Assorted paintings, 2021 VCA Grad Show, Oil, chalk pastel and wax on canvas and linen, 2021.
Caitlin Aloisio Shearer, Up the stairs and Girls just wanna have, Oil on linen, 2021.
Caitlin Aloisio Shearer, Girls just wanna have (Walking round in circles), Oil on canvas, 2021.
Caitlin Aloisio Shearer, Studio View, November, Various paintings; Oil and chalk pastel on linen and canvas, 2021.
Caitlin Aloisio Shearer, All this sky that's all mine!, Oil paint, chalk pastel and wax medium on canvas, 2021.
Caitlin Aloisio Shearer, Detail of An optimism that never stopped expecting the next miracle, Oil paint and chalk pastel on canvas, 2021.
Caitlin Aloisio Shearer, Detail of Girls just wanna have (You spin me right round, baby, right round, like a record baby, right round, round, round), Oil paint and oil stick on canvas, 2021.
Caitlin Aloisio Shearer, It's a shame I can't fit the whole world into my mouth all at once, Oil paint, wax medium and chalk pastel on canvas, 2021.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.