Fiona Arbab

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Painting)

References to animal cruelty and death.

My work addresses the distortion of narrative. Through the collection and deconstruction of literary and historical references, I reimagine traditional archetypes to discern how old stories align with modern schools of thought. My primary interest lies in finding connecting threads between European and South-Asian canons, investigating the commingling of cultural iconography in fables, myths and historical points of view. While I investigate an array of subjects, my Islamic heritage is often responsible for the religious motifs etched through my practice. My desire to engage a more personal narrative can be seen in my recent sculptural installations.

Fiona Arbab, Some Other Animal's Meat, Clay, faux fur, acrylics, epoxy resin, and textiles, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Fiona Arbab, Kambakht Qismat, Terracotta clay, plastic polymers, acrylic paint, faux hair, and epoxy resin, 2021.
Fiona Arbab, Grandma's House, Acrylic, gouache, and watercolour on watercolour paper, 2021.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.