Paul Prato

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Painting)

I explore the translation of personal narrative into material reality through a multi-disciplinary approach. Terrazzo, film and bronze casting enable an expression of the interconnectivity between histories and subjectivities. Recontextualising traditional techniques in a contemporary setting reveals the narrative potential of my chosen materials, creating a theatre of overlay.

My artistic output is informed by growing up and working on a peach orchard in Shepparton, by my previous studies in philosophy and by a strong connection to my Italian heritage.

Paul Prato, Elegia per un Frutteto (Elegy for an Orchard), Peach tree, bronze, 925 sterling silver, 2021. Documentation by Damon AMB.
Paul Prato, Don't Bend, Ascend!, Digital video, 2021.
Paul Prato, A Portrait for Half Moon Bay, Marble, lapis lazuli, found pendant, beach sand, ocean water, glass, cement, wire, 2021.
Paul Prato, Giotto's Dream, Acrylic on canvas, 2021.
Paul Prato, Elegia per un Frutteto (Elegy for an Orchard), Peach tree, 925 sterling silver, bronze, ash, charcoal, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.