Rebecca Suares-Jury

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Painting)

Working across painting and drawing, my practice is informed by textiles, artefacts and iconography from my mixed Indian heritage. Using simple gestural marks and colour, I construct new lyrical compositions, referencing found landscape imagery and autobiographical photographs. By combining ornamental figuration with abstract painting techniques, I aim to create aesthetic tensions and dichotomies in my work.

Rebecca Suares-Jury, Inhabited by the wind, Acrylic, wax pastel and oil on canvas, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Rebecca Suares-Jury, Inhabited by the wind #5, Acrylic and Oil on Canvas, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Rebecca Suares-Jury, Inhabited by the wind III, Oil and acrylic on canvas, 2021. Documentation by Aaron Christopher Rees.
Rebecca Suares-Jury, Inhabited by the wind IV , Oil, wax pastel and acrylic on canvas, 2021. Documentation by Aaron Christopher Rees.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.