VCA ART 2021

Elmira Cheung

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Painting)

Contains Blood.

I am a second-generation Hong Kong–Australian born, raised and currently practising in Naarm (Melbourne). My work engages with the agency of POC, the feminine, and the ornamental. We often hear ‘art imitates life’: I believe this act of imitation is not possible without ornamentation and that in fact imitating is ornamenting. Ornamentation is the heart of art to me. I am interested in reclaiming and manipulating ornaments and the ornamental.

My grad show works play on every day ornaments like the laughing clown heads from carnivals, and the plates of my childhood: loaded with meaning yet eternally silent.

Elmira Ng, Dressing Table, Paper mache, gouache, paper, cardboard, glad wrap, glass, 2020-2021.
Elmira Ng, Dressing Table (detail), Paper mache, gouache, paper, cardboard, glad wrap, glass, 2020.
Elmira Ng, Stove, paper mache, acrylic, envelope windows, dried dahlia petals, tissues stained with bodily fluid, 2020.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.

This website may contain sensitive or triggering content