VCA ART 2021

Ebony Hoiberg

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Sculpture)

Content Warning: This artwork includes interviews discussing grief and death, including references to heart attack, cancer and suicide.

I've always been interested in conversations, and the big stories and small reflections that we don't have space for in our day-to-day lives. The first, Elly, I have never met, and found through a community Facebook page. The second, Kate, is one of my best childhood friends, whose mother passed away when we were young. And the third, a new friend, whose experiences I have had glimpses or fragments of, but otherwise would never have known their full experience. These are deeply personal and intimate interviews of loss, love and life continuing on - both the monumental and mundane, holding a space to speak about trauma and grief and the moments we don't often share.

Thank You to my interviewees:
Elly Wood talking about the death of her father Greg Wood;
Kate Gwyther talking about the death of her mother
Francesca Gwyther;
And the third participant who would like to remain anonymous.

Ebony Hoiberg, There your heart will always be, Installation, 2021. Documentation by Claire Lambe.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.

This website may contain sensitive or triggering content