Chelsea Young

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Sculpture)

My work is formed intuitively with a focus on concealment as a means of abstracting desire and impulse. I am particularly interested in intertwining the traditional constructs of a 'ruin' with contemporary networks and ideas that reflect on the collapse of discretionary consumption. My process involves layers of erasure, memories splintering, colliding and reconfiguring, generating euphoria and eventually anguish.

Chelsea Young, SUCH IS LIFE, Imprint on canvas, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Chelsea Young, Ah well, I suppose it has come to this, Mixed Media , 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Chelsea Young, Ah well, I suppose it has come to this..., Mixed media. individual canvas titles, prices and materials available upon request, 2021. Documentation by Claire Lambe.
Chelsea Young, install shot of Ah well, I suppose it has come to this..., Mixed media. individual canvas titles, prices and materials available upon request, 2021. Documentation by Claire Lambe.
Chelsea Young, install shot including "text piece" and "such is life", Lead pencil on canvas, ribbon. Imprint on canvas, 2021. Documentation by Claire Lambe.
Chelsea Young, Install shot of ah well I suppose it has come to this..., Mixed media. individual canvas titles, prices and materials available upon request, 2021. Documentation by Claire Lambe.
Chelsea Young, install shot of "Goop'd", Imprint on canvas, spirulina, timber, metal detailing (hook), 2021. Documentation by Claire Lambe.
Chelsea Young, Anythings possible, almost (Marilyn caged), Pure dupioni silk, charcoal, steel, 2021.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.