VCA ART 2021

Adina Kraus

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Photography)

My work creates a mystical universe, in which common associative links are obstructed – manifesting everything, while embodying nothing.
Immersed in contradictions, the work seeks that which can emerge from impossibilities if they are pushed to their limit. By applying hybrid modalities, predominantly in sculpture and performance, I seek to muddy the waters between reality and metaphor.
Turning to ancestry and the ancient roots of civilisation – forming a symbolic gestural language of sanctity and ritual – I channel what remains the Earth’s greatest currency and humanity’s most treasured gift.
With puckish wit and through spirited play, my art imagines a world full of potential, but it also draws attention to its unsettling truths.

ADINA KRAUS, 'yad yemini' - the hidden and the revealed, Banksia and bronze, Pillar of salt plinth, 2021.
ADINA KRAUS, Macondo, Bronze, banana leaf, 2021.
ADINA KRAUS, Macondo, Banana peel, 2021.
ADINA KRAUS, Macondo - installation view, Bamboo, cotton chord, soil, coffee, gold leaf, bronze, banana leaf, linen canvas, 1800 x 1500 cm, acrylic paint, 2021.
ADINA KRAUS, Macondo, Bamboo, cotton chord, soil, coffee, gold leaf, bronze and banana leaf, 2021.
ADINA KRAUS, 'yad yemini' - the hidden and the revealed, Banksia and copper. Pillar of salt, 2021.
ADINA KRAUS, Aliyah, Steel, chord, dead sea salt, 2021.
ADINA KRAUS, Aliyah, Steel, chord, dead sea salts, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.

This website may contain sensitive or triggering content