Nila Shekarvand

Master of Contemporary Art

Tyvek is a series of drawings made on a synthetic fibre that is derived from crude oil. This work uses the material to convey a shared message about the threats to aquatic life and ecosystems. The multitude of whimsical drawings relates to the ongoing issues in our environment still experienced today, global warming, pollution, climate change, genetic modification, and effect on these human activities on marine life.

In this work, I reflect on the topic of sustainability - Informed by my interest in mixed cultural identity, transcultural living, and feminism. My practice involves exploring connections to personal narratives and to the environment that I recognise as places of belonging and home. My conceptual process employs investigating notions of mystical beings, animals, mythical, supernatural hybrid creatures, as positive agents of transformation in contemporary art and culture.

Nila Shekarvand, Tyvek - Deep Sees, Hand-dyed cotton, watercolour on tyvek, 2021.
Nila Shekarvand, Tyvek - Detail series 1, Watercolour on Tyvek, fabric and adhesive, 2021.
Nila Shekarvand, Tyvek - Detail Series 2, Watercolour on Tyvek, fabric and adhesive, 2021.
Nila Shekarvand, Tyvek - Detail series 3, Watercolour on Tyvek, fabric and adhesive, 2021.
Nila Shekarvand, Tyvek - Detail series 4, Watercolour on Tyvek, fabric and adhesive, 2021.
Nila Shekarvand, Tyvek - Detail series, Watercolour on Tyvek, fabric and adhesive, 2021.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.