Claire Bridge

Master of Contemporary Art

My work fuses the mythic and grotesque. I engage with practices of rupture, repatterning and repair to address concerns for voice, power and violence. Drawing on ancestral transmissions and a synthesis of my Indian-Assamese and Anglo-European heritage, I re-signify and empower the wounded, monstrous feminine through works framed by the mythologies of Medusa, Lilith, Shakti and Kali. Resisting Western tendencies to deny violence and erase scars, my work witnesses the wounded psyche and soma through visible ruptures and tactile fragmentations. Embedded within processes, objects and materials are gestures of repair to personal and collective wounds, opening ruptures of transformational potential and plasticity. In response to systemic male violence against women, repair is a vital practice of cultural resistance, continuity and future-making.

Claire Bridge, Soma (Witness), Glazed stoneware ceramic, wax, natural pearls, 2021.
Claire Bridge, Soma (Witness), detail, Glazed stoneware ceramic, wax, natural pearls, 2021.
Claire Bridge, Soma (Truth-teller), Glazed stoneware ceramic, 2021.
Claire Bridge, Soma (Truth-teller), detail, Glazed stoneware ceramic, 2021.
Claire Bridge, Pupa, Single channel video and sound, 2021.
Claire Bridge, Upon a thousand cuts, sway, weave (Medusa), Video still, close-in detail, single channel video projection, stoneware ceramic, copper, sound, 2021.
Claire Bridge, 'rupture: repattern: repair', Master of Contemporary Art Graduation Exhibition, installation view, Single channel video projection, sound, glazed stoneware ceramic, steel, wood, concrete, wax, natural pearls, copper, 2021. Image courtesy the artist.
Claire Bridge, From which all emerges and returns, Glazed stoneware ceramic, 50 x 50 x 11.5 cm, 2021. Image courtesy the artist.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.