Natalie Mather

Master of Fine Art

For a long time, I suspected that what I was making was centred on a desire to transform, or be transported from, the constraints of ‘consensus reality’ by providing both the means and destination for transportation through painting.
By focusing on capturing, producing and communicating permutations of the heterotopia, I theorise space through painting in an attempt to create a ‘dazzling variety’ of spatial and relational possibilities. Where do we go when we make and/or view a painting? How can I describe or depict the ‘placeness’ of that imaginative site?

Natalie Mather, translune, Oil and acrylic on three canvas panels, 2021.
Natalie Mather, oracledeficit I & III, Oil and acrylic on two canvas panels., 2020-2021.
Natalie Mather, in anaesthetic veritas, Copic marker and fineliner on paper, 2020.
Natalie Mather, spectrisparadis (detail), Oil and acrylic on four canvas panels, 2021.
Natalie Mather, spectrisparadis, Oil and acrylic on four canvas panels, 2021.
Natalie Mather, terrorist terrarium, Copic marker and fineliner on paper, 2020.
Natalie Mather, Installation view, Oil and acrylic on canvas, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Natalie Mather, oracledeficit 1 (detail of oracle deficit 1 & 3), Oil, acrylic and spray enamel on canvas, 2020-21. Documentation by ALEC.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.