VCA ART 2021

Adam John Cullen

Master of Fine Art

My practice stems from a personal narrative, with works referencing places, people and events. My research project, murmur, draws from multiple narratives at once, which have been broken down, blended and reconstructed. This act reflects my process of sculptural production; I collect, sort, arrange and rearrange various objects and materials found on a daily basis. These newly ordered materials are chosen for sentimental reasons and familial association: gifts from friends, heirlooms and souvenirs. Predominantly through casting processes, I incorporate these collected materials with studio trials and fragments of past works. Cast forms are then chipped away, eroded, cast and recast over and over again, pausing momentarily in the context of an exhibition, only to go on and be reformed and reimagined.

Adam John Cullen, murmur, Installation, 2021. Documentation by ALEC. Courtesy of Lon Gallery.
Adam John Cullen, murmur, Installation (detail), 2021. Documentation by ALEC. Courtesy of Lon Gallery.
Adam John Cullen, Elton, Mixed media, 2021. Documentation by Lucy Foster. Courtesy of Lon Gallery.
Adam John Cullen, Elton, Mixed Media, 2021. Documentation by Lucy Foster. Courtesy of Lon Gallery.
Adam John Cullen, Elton, Fawkner Memorial Park, Mixed media, 2020. Documentation by Christo Crocker. Courtesy of Lon Gallery.
Adam John Cullen, Elton, Fawkner Memorial Park, Mixed, 2020. Documentation by Christo Crocker. Courtesy of Lon Gallery.
Adam John Cullen, melt, Mixed media, 2020. Documentation by Christo Crocker. Courtesy of Lon Gallery.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.

This website may contain sensitive or triggering content