Jen Valender

Master of Fine Art

My practice explores moving image and performance as mediums to frame psychological projection. I use lecture performance as a platform to antagonise and question my own artworks. In doing so, the lecture format becomes a container for practice-led research and its findings – a space to kick up dilemmas and where responses create shifting ethical positions beyond black-and-white thinking. On such slippery, changeable ground, it is difficult to find one’s footing. This is, however, the point. As a result of not turning away from or trying to escape discomfort, questioning out loud has become my studio strategy. I draw the language of film and psychology closely together as ethical boundaries are gently pushed upon and my practice continues to fold in on itself.

Jen Valender, Distilled Dissonance: the species known & other beings, caught between feedback loops & light detail, Three channel colour lecture-performance film, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Jen Valender, Distilled Dissonance: the species known & other beings, perspective of the fly detail, Three channel colour lecture-performance film, 2021. Documentation by ALEC.
Jen Valender, Distilled Dissonance: the species known & other beings, Single channel colour lecture-performance film detail, 2021.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people of the Kulin Nations, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.